Monday, April 23, 2012

Eggs Poached in Avocado Halves

Want an easy, delicious, healthy, and pretty item for your brunch table? Or maybe just something quick and easy to make a special breakfast for yourself? Of course you do. Nothing beats breakfast, especially if the recipe we're discussing consists of little more than two, yes two, ingredients.

Eggs

I got the idea for this recipe from an email I got from Chef Ina Pinkney's marketing team. I was invited to join them for a brunch designed around avocados from Mexico, but it was during the week and during work hours, so I couldn't make it. They were still nice enough to email me a couple of recipes from that brunch and this one just sounded genius, so I whipped it up for a brunch. Yum!

If your eggs aren't small enough, or if you didn't scoop out enough room in your avocado halves, this will get a bit messy. Also, unless you don't like runny eggs (I love them), be sure to not over-steam your eggs. If you want a bit of a kick, you can also add a dash of Sriracha or Tabasco on top. Either way, they're delicious.

Poached Avocado Eggs
* This picture was taken by my cousin, as I was to busy running around and forgot to take one. Thanks hun!

Eggs Poached in Avocado Halves
Inspired by Chef Ina Pinkney, of Ina’s Restaurant in Chicago

2 large avocados
4 small eggs
sea salt
freshly cracked pepper
garlic powder

- Cut an avocado in half and remove pit. You could cut a thin slice from the bottom of each avocado half to create a flat surface, but I didn't bother as I was going to wedge enough of them into a basket to make sure they all stayed upright.
- Carefully scoop out about half of the avocado flesh without breaking through the flesh at the base. Season with salt, pepper, and a light sprinkle of garlic powder.
- Crack one egg into each avocado half. If you only have large eggs, you may want to crack the egg into a separate bowl, transfer the yolk into the avocado half, and add just enough of the egg white to fill up the shell. This will be messy, but that's okay, plus you can make a small side omelet with the leftover whites.
- Season the egg with salt, pepper and a bit more of the garlic powder.
- Place avocado halves into a steamer basket, cover and let steam until eggs are done, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer each avocado half to a serving plate. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of paprika if you like.

4 comments:

Mimi Avocado said...

I've seen photos for the last several months of eggs cooked in avocados. Can't for the life of me think of a good reason to cook an avocado, since they already taste delicious with eggs. The photos are fun though...love the way the egg takes the place of the pit. We are California avocado growers...eat avocados every day. If you make these, I'll try them.

Looking forward to meeting you at Camp Blogaway!

Dorothy at Shockinglydelicious said...

You had me at "avocados."

Looking forward to meeting you at Camp Blogaway!

Unknown said...

You ran of food again didnt you :D

Unknown said...

I love cooked avocados. One of my favorite ways is to brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper and grill. Brings out a nutty flavor. You don't have to cook the begeebers out of it. You just want a couple minutes with skin side down and then turn to get grill marks, maybe another 2 - 3 minutes. Yummy.