Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper or Spicy Hummus

For the last two weekends I've had to work on Friday nights and on Saturdays. While this isn't too bad since it doesn't happen all the time, combined with everything else that's been going on, me turning the dreaded 30, and the fact that I haven't had a full weekend to recover has left me constantly sleepy. Old fogies like me need naps, not to mention that it's hard to gather any sort of enthusiasm for anything in the sweltering heat of summer that we've had these past few weeks.

Hummus

As a result, I've had no interest in cooking. Or even going grocery shopping for that matter. Once the produce from my last trip out dwindled, I was left with the contents of my randomly stocked pantry and a rather lonely couple of red peppers in the fridge. So for half of last week, this hummus has been my dinner and my lunch...and honestly, I'm not complaining, this stuff is addictive!

Hummus Square

Spicy Hummus
Adapted slightly from Always With Butter

1 can chickpeas
1/4 cup tahini, well stirred
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp olive oil
1 Tbsp water

Dump everything into a food processor and whir into oblivion. Add a bit more oil or a tablespoon of water if you want it smoother/thinner. Plop in front of the TV with the food processor bowl and a bag of crackers and enjoy your one bowl dinner which didn't require you to turn on the oven or fry something.

Red Pepper Hummus

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

1 batch Spicy Hummus from above
1 red bell pepper
1/2 tsp olive oil

- Use your hands to rub the olive oil all over the red pepper, turn your oven to broil and slide a shallow dish with your pepper in it right under the flame.
- Use tongs to turn your pepper every 5 minutes until you have a nice blistery char all over the surface of the pepper.
- Place the pepper into a small bowl, cover tightly with saran wrap and let it cool for 10-15 minutes. This should loosen the skin allowing you to easily peel it right off. Pull out the stem and the seeds from the inside and dump the pepper flesh along with any juices into your food processor where the spicy hummus is waiting. Pulse a few times until the pepper is nicely blended in and enjoy.

Note: Since you're already going to all this work for the pepper, I'd recommend making two or three at a time. Whatever you don't put into your hummus would be an amazing addition to any sandwich you choose to make for lunch.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yesss, I love hummus! In any form. I started putting an orange or red bell pepper into it a couple months ago, I love the flavor. I guess now I have to start roasting them too :)

Fly said...

I testify to its deliciousnesssssssssssssssssssss

Unknown said...

Hmmmm hummus